There is a new service available for the people, who wish to have a full-featured desktop while on the road. The service is called AlwaysOnPC, and is in essence a virtual desktop, stored on a server that you can access anytime, and from anywhere.
As it is described on their website:
Introducing AlwaysOnPC, the world’s first personal cloud computer that works from any device, anywhere – including your iPhone™.
Your own online virtual personal computer loaded with a full set of applications and 2 GB of personal file storage. Accessible from an iPhone (other platforms tba) as well as any netbook, laptop, desktop, Internet kiosk.
The service includes an always-on PC with 2 GB of storage, available for documents, files, photos, etc. It is ideal for the travelers, who need to access their desktop remotely from different locations – a computer, their iPhone and soon-to-come other internet-connected platforms. It includes a variety of applications:
- Internet applications – Firefox browser, Email client, Instant messenger (supporting multiple IM services, such as AOL, ICQ, MSN, Yahoo!, etc.)
- Office package (Word processor, Spreadsheet, Presentation application, Project-management application)
- Utilities (Contacts manager, Calendar, Text editor, Archive manager, Calculator, Dictionary, etc.)
- Multimedia (Movie player (no sound for the time being!), GIMP – a full-featured image editor, etc.)
- Games (17 board and puzzle games)
and even some heavy-duty programming tools including Eclipse and Glade interface designer.
Important! You can get a free registration to try it for 5 days, but in order to get the service permanent, you have to download the AlwaysOnPC app from the Apple AppStore (a one-time 29.99 USD) and login from your iPhone or iPod.
From Xform Computing.